Wednesday, September 5, 2012

DIY Dollhouse - the "Dutch" way

At work we are going to be moving into a new building shortly, so we have been busy purging and throwing stuff we don't need to bring over there. In one of the giant mounds of trash, I grabbed an old floor stand made out of corrugate. These are the types that you can see in convenience stores, etc. that hold bags of candy or other items. Here is a "before" picture of it on its side. I only had the top part, not the base.
Floorstand on it's side
I was trying to figure out what I could make or use this for. And then it dawned on me - how about a Barbie house? So I brought it home and tried debating if it would work or not. I figured out a "floor plan" which includes 2 bed rooms, a living room, and a storage area for accessories. I then deconstructed the floor stand, removed some of the grids, and grabbed the utility knife to make my own pattern to make the grids more sturdy. They were a little flimsy, but I added more strength by adding tabs and reinforced cardboard to make it a little stronger. Sounds complicated, but I do similar things as part of my job, so it wasn't too difficult.
Grids removed, and rooms created!
Once I had this floorplan established, I painted each room a different color. I used leftover paint from Macyn's nursery. I then laid some carpet and tile. I used some peel and stick tile that was leftover from my bedroom in high school, and I picked up a purple shag rug from the dollar store for $6. In fact, the tile made the shelves stronger.

 I still need to "wallpaper" the walls, create furniture, and possibly some curtains. So, here is a rundown of the supplies and cost so far:
* Floor stand = Free
* Paint = Leftovers
* Tile = Leftovers
* Carpet = $6 (and I have over half left)

Actual money spent so far  = $6. .....and just think, this thing was going in the trash!

....to be continued.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...