After a tough battle with leukemia, my grandpa went to be with his Lord and Savior the morning of Macyn's birthday party. I will always cherish the moments we had together. The laughter, the love, and the fellowship. This is harder than usual because he was my last grandparent left. It is a weird feeling, and an even stranger feeling knowing that I can't just go and see him.
When we delivered Macyn's invitation to Grandpa for her party, he was worried he wouldn't make it because of how tired he felt. We told him we would bring the party to him, and we were looking forward to that. Little did I know, less than a week and a half later he would be gone. We explained to Macyn about what happened to Grandpa Stan, and that he wouldn't be at her party because Grandpa went to go see Jesus. She replied, "I want Jesus to come to my birthday."
She understands more now. After we brought her to visitation, we explained to her the same things that happened with Grandma Van Aartsen, 2 months earlier, to the date. It melted my heart and made me shed a few more tears when we were viewing Grandpa in his casket when she said in the saddest little voice, "Goodbye Great Grandpa Stan."
Sometimes she will randomly ask, "Grandpa Stan went to heaven?" "with Jesus and Grandma Tillie?" We just tell her yes, and if he she has questions, we answer them. I think Macyn has a special place in her heart for him. She seems to get sad if she talks about him, but then she realizes he is in heaven, then she seems to be a little happier.
Rest in Peace, Grandpa Stan. We love you and miss you so much. We'll see you later, someday.
No comments:
Post a Comment