Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tulip Festival Meh

Every year there is a Tulip festival and I have never been there as long as I have lived. People call me crazy since this is "the thing" to do. Its crazy - people dress up, walk around, take days off work, clean the streets, etc. Since it was a nice day out, and Macyn is about 9/16th's Dutch (Josh is 100%, I am 12.5%) we figured we would finally go. There was one of their bajillion parades going on, but we decided to pass by that. The first stop was finding the Van Aartsen province flag thingy, and take Macyn's picture by it:It says "Flag of the Province Overjssel" Contributed by the Hendrik Van Aartsen Family. I am not exactly sure what this all means, but according to Wiki (my co-worker is gonna kill me for using this as a source) it is a province of the Netherlands in the central eastern part of the country.

The next stop was finding some pretty tulips to take pictures by. This was probably my favorite part was seeing all the tulips! There were so many kinds and so pretty. Macyn was kinda tired and not too smiley, but gave us a little one to capture some photos:After that we found this bridge that said "Brugge tot Oranjestad". I do not have a clue what that means - even Wiki doesn't! Believe it or not, Wiki doesn't know something - WOW!!!We continued to walk around after that and saw a giant wooden shoe, but there were too many people around it to take a picture. We also stopped for a funnel cake and cotton candy. We found a little shop that had some Dutch memorabilia, but no wooden shoes small enough for Macyn, and no cute little Dutch bonnet for her either.

So my overall impression? (I might offend some, so I apologize in advance). I honestly don't know what the big deal is. There was no where to shop, and the only tulips I saw were in the little park thing. I was disappointed. I don't know if I was expecting something like the Renaissance festival or if I was let down because of all the hype. Either way, I think the only thing that would bring me back would be a nice night, and the fact that DH loves funnel cakes.

Sorry Tulip Festival, I had more fun with my DH's coworker & fiance than I did with you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...