Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Half Way!

I am officially half way with this pregnancy. Yes, I know I am only 18 weeks, but the babies will be born at 36 weeks. We had our anatomy scan yesterday and it was quite a long appointment. We were there for three hours! Here is a rundown of how things went:

• First we met with a genetic counselor who took all of our family's history. He explained to us about things they look for on an ultrasound and that twins are at higher risk for defects
• Then, I met with my doctor's nurse. They asked more family history questions and did the usual - weight gain, blood pressure, etc.
• Ultrasound time! This ended up taking quite a long time, but we were able to find the dividing membrane between the two babies. We couldn't see it at 12 weeks because it was so small. I was relieved we found it, as if they are in the same sac, it's even higher risk. So, I am diagnosed with mono/di twins. They are identical (monochorionic, diamniotic) which means they share the same afterbirth and the egg has split into two different sacs
• Baby A is head down with it's feet into my ribs. Hard to believe they are that high already! Baby A had a heart rate of 148 BPM, and was about 9 oz.
• Baby B is breech and has its rump in the other one's face! If you look close at the picture you can see Baby A putting it's hand up to its face, while the butt is pressed against it. Baby B had a heart rate of 154 BPM, and weighed about 11 oz.
Poor Baby A getting a face full of Baby B!
• I also had my first 3d ultrasound (as you can tell) and it was pretty neat! Besides printouts they give you a disk with all your pictures and you bring it with you every time and they keep adding to it. 
• I will no longer be doctoring in town and will solely be doctoring with my Peri. He is requesting ultrasounds every two weeks starting now to watch for twin to twin transfusion syndrome. This only happens in identicals, and it pretty much means that one baby can grow faster than the other. They need to keep an eye on this and make sure the babies are growing at the same rates.
• Since this is a high risk pregnancy, there are greater chances of birth defects and other things that can go wrong. At my next ultrasound they will be doing another growth scan and an echo of the hearts to make sure everything is okay
• As of now, there isn't anything that showing cause for alarm. With that being said, yes, we did find out what we are having. I present to you....our beautiful identical twin......girls!
Macyn has already came up with a couple of names, including "Flower and Football" and even "Cindy Lou Who." She is excited and talks about her sisters pretty often!

1 comment:

cobo said...

Congratulations on your GIRLS! Wow! I'll bet Macyn is so excited and I'm happy to hear things are going well so far. I think you'll find it is kind of nice having the same gender so that you don't have to start over on clothes, blankets, toys, etc. (although I realize you'll probably need more clothes, right?) Anyway, thanks for sharing your exciting journey!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...