Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sweets & Snacks Expo 2011

I had the privilege of attending the 2011 Sweets & Snacks Expo in Chicago. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is the USA's largest candy & snacks show. Pretty much everyone in the industry has a booth an the expo, showcasing new products and handing out samples. Here are a few of the highlights of the expo and my time in Chicago.
Harry Potter portrait made entirely of Jelly Belly's. The Artist was signing autographs and said it took her about 120 hours to complete.
My candy stash from Day 1. I will bring most of it to share with my co workers. DH doesn't think that is a good idea :)

I think I look pretty good in a smart car. Even better if it was actually mine.
The rooftop bar and grill we ate at in downtown Chicago. I had a delicious panini consisting of turkey, bacon, provolone cheese, and chipotle mayo. YUM!
Sears Tower. It was even prettier at night. I didn't get a pic tho.
Darryl Strawberry and myself. I thought about going all crazy fan on him and telling him how I remember watching him play for the Saint Paul Saints minor leagues and how I watched him on the Celebrity Apprentice, but I didn't want to go all stalkerish on him.
Chicago library downtown. Maybe if our library looked like that, I would actually go.
Men's styles at H&M. I told DH that if we ever move to a big city, he has to start dressing like the mannequins.
Back wall of our booth. This consisted of me piecing together people in order to print them out life size. I photoshopped all the product onto each and every image.
Our entire booth. I created the hanging banner. It's the largest thing I have made thus far - 15'x15'x4'. I also made portions of the Rips sign with the combination lock.
I thought these were the cutest things ever (and pretty tasty too)! They are shaped rice krispie treats dipped in chocolate and decorated. Perfect for weddings, etc. Since I'm not quite ready to dive into cake pops, this might be an easier alternative.
The pretty clouds on my way home from Chicago. Looked like snow!
Other highlights from my trip:
• Following a guy into the S.Falls airport only to follow him all the way through security, to my gate, and eventually sitting right next to him on my flight
• Texting a man named Mohammed, and the fact that I have his number
• Realizing I have a Lake Michigan view from my hotel room. I didn't snap a photo because we were going to eat. The next morning it was too foggy to see. So the image forever lives in my head
• Shopping at Nordstroms and deciding I will stick to my $20 sweaters instead of a $90 one.
• I never knew I could get so many blisters on my feet in one day.
• My two bathrooms and 2 beds both got used in my hotel room. If you have them, you might as well use them! One bed was used for my candy stash.
• Seeing Armand Hammer. He is on the food network sometimes.
• Being in Chicago the same time Oprah was taping her last episode
• Surviving tornado warnings in the Chicago area
• Not having a delayed flight when at least 50 percent of them were either delayed or cancelled
• Flying in the worst turbulence in my life and almost losing it
• Taking a cab ride from a turban man (I am not sterotyiping, this is what happens when you are from small town America)
• Sitting next to a midget at the airport. He had a cane but didn't walk with it. I think he just wanted to be one of those handicapped people who board first
• I saw a chinese basketball team. I didn't know they made them that tall over there.

Yep. That's my trip in a nut shell. If you are wondering what my favorite candy I tried was, it was the new Werther's Caramel Apple candies. YUM. I will be buying those when they hit stores!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...