We went to Falls Park the other night and I snapped some pictures of the falls. I took my first one on "auto" mode and the color wasn't so great. I then decided to put it on the manual setting and adjust everything myself - ISO, white balance, F-stop, shutter speed, etc. And then I remembered that you can make the falls themselves look dreamy when you keep the shutter open longer. I went ahead and tried it and I came out with some great results! These pictures were taken about 9:15 PM without much light, so I really should have had a tripod. But I just worked with what I had.
For those of you who don't know what a shutter speed is - its how long the shutter is open and how much light is let in. You know when sometimes your pictures are blurry if you don't use a flash? What most likely happened is the shutter was open longer, and you moved, therefore making your pictures blurry. I always use a rule of thumb speed of 1/60 to prevent blurred pictures if you aren't using a tripod. If its anything slower than that, they will blur. I lowered my shutter down soooooo slow to make the falls look blurred.
The reason this works is, since the water is moving, it blurs the falls. Since everything else is still, it doesn't blur that part (unless you move the camera). It turns out for some neat pictures for sure. Like I said, I didn't have a tripod so mine aren't perfect, but you get the idea!
![]() |
| Auto setting - not so good! |
![]() |
| Manual setting - slow shutter speed |
![]() |
| Blurred water, clear rocks! |



No comments:
Post a Comment