Sunday, October 31, 2010

False Alarm

On Thursday we had gotten a call from daycare that Macyn had a fever. She stayed home during the afternoon and was fine, but then her fever spiked again Thursday night. Friday we thought it would be best for her to stay home as well, and I noticed she was beginning to get a spotty rash on her tummy. I didn't think too much of it since it could be heat rash, etc.

Saturday the rash got worse. Saturday night it was all over her back and face. It looked like the chicken pox. I knew she had gotten the chicken pox vaccine the previous week and sure enough, there is a chance your child could get a mild case from the vaccine. I then started doing more research with chicken pox, but her spots never blistered. After reading up on Chicken Pox, I didn't think this was the culprit, but there was definitely something else going on.

I then decided to look up MMR. And 1 out of 5 children have a reaction to the Measles part of the vaccine. After more research, it turns out that about 10-14 days after the immunization, a child could spike a fever and a rash that pretty much looks like the measles (google measles rash if your really interested). Its not contagious but it lasts anywhere from 3-5 days. Macyn's isnt terrible, but definitely noticeable. I am just happy that its not chicken pox!!! And sure enough, her fever started 10 days after she got vaccinated, and the spots started 1 day after that. She has had spots for 3 days now, and hopefully they will start to go away. I REALLY hope so since she has her 1 year pictures on Saturday!!!

I am not a doctor by any means, but if this ever happens to your child after an MMR vaccine, just know that this is somewhat normal and not to worry! (but check with your doctor, just in case)!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...